Common Breast Augmentation Questions
Breast augmentation, also known as breast implant or enlargement surgery, is a common procedure many women receive to increase the size of one or both breasts to reshape or rejuvenate sagging breasts. The surgical process is fairly quick, but there are some things patients should know about the recovery process and how to take care of implants post op.
How long does breast augmentation recovery take?
- Immediately after surgery, the patient will be taken into a recovery area for monitoring, where breasts will be wrapped in gauze dressings with an elastic bandage and fitted with a medically approved support bra to minimize impending swelling.
- Once a medical professional has deemed a patient stable for discharge they will be released, generally within a few hours after surgery.
- The physician will provide specific post-op instructions that must be closely followed. The plastic surgeon will also prescribe post-op medications as needed, including pain pills and/or antibiotics.
Activitymust be kept to a minimum during the first several days, otherwise, it’s possible to bleed into pockets surrounding the breast implants. Acute pain will generally subside within five days but soreness and swelling can continue for a few weeks.
- Remember, no two people are the same, so recovery times for breast augmentations can vary person-to-person.
What are some post-surgical things to do to ensure the best results?
- Keep activity to a minimum. Only perform essential activities as necessary and follow doctor’s orders when it comes to hygiene and replacing bandages. Normal activity may be resumed up to a week after, but rigorous exercise is still out of the question until breasts are fully healed or the plastic surgeon determines they’ve healed enough to endure heavy activity.
- Monitor how the implants feel and look months and years after surgery. Implants are not impervious to
age,and will need to be replaced someday. Schedule annual examinations with a physician to determine the health and condition of existing breast implants to ensure longevity.
Breast Augmentation Surgery with Dr. Michael Workman
Although it can be a fast procedure, breast augmentation surgery recovery can take time. Dr. Michael Workman’s breast augmentation expertise ensures you can recover quickly from your surgery without complications. Dr. Workman is an American Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and has performed more than 4,000 breast surgeries throughout his more than 20-year career.
Dr. Workman takes the time to personally consult all his patients regarding their augmentation surgery, listening to and thoroughly answering their questions to ensure a positive experience. Contact us today to schedule a consultation for breast augmentation surgery.
BOOK YOUR COMPLIMENTARY CONSULTATION
See the results for yourself.